Dr. Turecki offers a comprehensive approach to individual and family problems. The underlying principle is a philosophy that respects individual differences (see Philosophy for more details). He sees a wide range of children and adolescents with special needs, patients of all ages with ADHD, and those suffering from depression and anxiety.
The Initial Consultation (Evaluation)
Dr. Turecki needs to fully understand each particular situation before reaching a proper diagnosis and offering you his recommendations. Therefore, considerable time and effort is devoted to the evaluation. An adult or an older adolescent will come alone to the first appointment. In the case of a younger child the parents may be seen first and the child at a later date, or everyone may be asked to come in together for a longer session (see Making an appointment). At the end of the evaluation, Dr. Turecki will offer his impressions and advise you on how to proceed.
Range of Services:
- Individual Therapy with or without medication for adults, adolescents and children. The temperament of the patient is always taken into account. A difficult temperament should not be confused with pathology.
- Play Therapy for younger children. This is conducted by Dr. Turecki’s associate, Ms. Susan Sugarman, a board certified LCSW. She is a trained child therapist, and she works under Dr. Turecki's direct supervision.
- Familial Approaches include parent guidance for parents of temperamentally difficult children or those of troubled older children and adolescents. The parent and the child may be seen together in order to help resolve their differences, or the whole family may come for a few visits. It is a cardinal rule of Dr. Turecki’s that parents be involved when a child needs help. The temperaments of the parents, as well as that of the child, and goodness of fit always have to be considered (see Philosophy).
- Couples Therapy is offered both as a primary form of treatment, and also as a component of a family-oriented approach. Sometimes the spouse of a patient in individual therapy is asked to come in for a few sessions.
- Adult Group Therapy can be of great value to many patients, not only to parents. Group members are carefully selected. Patients learn from one another’s experiences, and often arrive at important insights. Dr. Turecki is the group leader. The atmosphere is one of support and encouragement.
- Medication may be prescribed both as an adjunct to individual therapy, or as a primary modality of treatment in cases of serious psychiatric disorder. Patients are carefully monitored, and periodic physical examinations and blood tests are ordered. (For further information on Dr. Turecki’s views on Psychiatric Diagnosis and Medication Use, see Philosophy.)
- Home Visits are made when intractable family problems persist in spite of treatment.
- Telephone Sessions are available for out-of-state families.
- Consultations. Dr Turecki is available for consultation with other professionals you or your child may be seeing, When a child needs a change of school, Dr Turecki, in collaboration with other experts, can advise you on to how to proceed.