Dr. Turecki offers a comprehensive approach to individual and family problems. The underlying principle is a philosophy that respects individual differences (see Philosophy for more details). He sees a wide range of children and adolescents, including those with special needs, difficult children and their parents, patients of all ages with ADHD, and those suffering from depression, anxiety, severe mood fluctuations, or bipolar disorder.
The Initial Consultation (Evaluation)
Dr. Turecki needs to fully understand each situation before reaching a proper diagnosis and offering you his recommendations. Therefore, considerable time and effort is devoted to the evaluation. An adult or an older adolescent will come alone to the first appointment.When a child has problems, both the child and parents may be asked to come in together for a longer session (see Making an appointment). At the end of the evaluation, Dr. Turecki will offer his professional opinion and advise you on how to proceed.
Range of Services:
- Individual Therapy with or without medication for adults, adolescents and children. The therapeutic approach is determined by the needs of the patient. When a child needs treatment, the parents are always involved in the process.
- Familial Approaches include parent guidance for parents of temperamentally difficult children or those of troubled older children and adolescents. The parent and the child may be seen together in order to help resolve their differences, or the whole family may come for a few visits. The temperaments of the parents, as well as that of the child, and goodness of fit always have to be considered (see Philosophy).
- Couples Therapy is offered both as a primary form of treatment, and also as a component of a family-oriented approach. Sometimes the spouse of a patient in individual therapy is asked to come in for a few sessions.
- Group Therapy can be of great value to many adults, not only to parents. Group members are carefully selected. Patients learn from one another’s experiences, and often arrive at important insights. Dr. Turecki is the group leader. The atmosphere is one of support and encouragement. Mothers' groups and problem-focused groups for teenagers and young adults are also offered.
- Medication may be prescribed as an adjunct to individual therapy. Occasionally it is the primary modality of treatment. Patients are carefully monitored, and periodic physical examinations and laboratory tests are needed in some cases. (For further information on Dr. Turecki’s views on psychiatric diagnosis and medication use, see Philosophy.)
- Telephone Sessions are available for out-of-state families.
- Consultations. Dr Turecki is available for consultation with other professionals that you or your child may be seeing, When a child needs a change of school, Dr Turecki, in collaboration with other experts, can advise you on to how to proceed.